One of South Florida's most distinctive historic structures, the Sample-McDougald House was built in 1916 by Albert Neal Sample, a Pompano area pioneer. The house was originally located on Dixie Highway, in the midst of Sample's pineapple fields.
In 1943 the house was purchased by William D. McDougald, a Deerfield Beach farmer and lawman. Members of the McDougald family would live in the house for six decades. During that period they preserved the house's original architectural style.
Increased urbanization changed the historical character of the site and efforts were made to find a new location for the landmark structure. The house was donated by the McDougald family to the Sample-McDougald House Preservation Society and on May 30, 2001 the structure was moved to its current location.
With support of individuals, businesses and local governments, the Sample-McDougald House Preservation Society undertook a multi-million dollar restoration and landscaping effort. In 2008, the City of Pompano Beach designated the house grounds as Centennial Park, in recognition of the municipality's 100th anniversary of incorporation.
The project has truly been a grassroots community effort. Hundreds of local residents and businesses have contributed to the restoration and site development through financial and in-kind contributions. Your participation is still needed today as the house celebrates its centennial and moves forward into the next phase of programming.
Click here for a 3-D Virtual Tour provided by
Dirk DeJong, President
Tom Waldo, Vice President
Jack Chrissy, Treasurer
Whitney Metevia, Secretary
The Sample-McDougald House Preservation Society, Inc. was founded in 1999 to preserve the historic house as a museum and center for community engagement. We are a Florida not-for-profit corporation. Designated a 501(c)(3) organization, contributions to the Sample-McDougald House are tax deductible.